Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fast & Easy Fry Bread Donuts

I picked up a Cool Daddy Fryer several weeks ago and have been experimenting with different recipes.  I know fried foods are among the root of dietary evils, especially for anyone trying to lose weight; but I have children now.  Mommies have to be able to make homemade french fries on occasion.  In addition, I have a extremely fond memories of my mom's homemade donuts and banana fritters and I would love for my boys to have similar memories. 

So upon being roused from bed at 6AM this fine Sunday morning by my energetic 3-year old, I decided to surf the Internet for a fast donut recipe, something that did not require 3 hours of rising time.  After a quick Google search, I found "Donut Recipe #2: Fast and Easy Donuts" on Squidoo.com.  I had not seen a donut batter recipe devoid of sugar before.  In fact, this is really more of a fry bread recipe (check out "Cookin' with Three Sisters" for some traditional fry bread recipes).   But as far as breakfast fare goes, I find the lack of sugar to be a big plus rather than a negative. 

This makes a little bit denser, more bread-like donut than what traditional donut recipes. I enjoyed them and, more importantly, my kids and hubby liked them. 

Of course, I have already tinkered with the recipe linked above because it is in my nature to do so and will most likely continue to make small adjustments which I will note here in the future.

Note:  I use canola oil in my deep fryer out of deference to our HDL/LDL ratios. 

----------------------------------------------------
Fast & Easy Fry Bread Donuts

6 eggs
6 tbsp Oil
2 cup milk
2 tbsp ground flax seed meal
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
8 tsp baking powder
7 cup flour

toppings - confectioner's sugar and/or cinnamon & sugar and/or honey

1) Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine the liquids and stir until well blended.  Add dry ingredients a little at a time mixing at low speed.  Stop the mixer and scrap the sides of the bowl to ensure good mixing.  Then mix at medium speed for 1 minute.

2) You may drop spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fry.

OR
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board.  Use just enough flour to prevent sticking.  Roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut into shapes.  The less you work the dough the better.

3) Deep fry (375F oil at least) until golden. Roll them in confectioner's sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture when cooked, if desired.  Also good drizzled with honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment