Friday, July 30, 2010

Fruit Salad

I thought that I had posted this recipe already but evidently I was wrong; so here it is.

I picked this recipe up in a snail mail recipe swap several years ago from a friend of a friend whose name I don't know. The recipe is simply titled "Fruit Salad from McGraw-Hill". Beyond this, I have no idea which McGraw-Hill book this might be from or who came up with the recipe. What I do know is that this recipe makes a huge salad. Even a half recipe is plenty to take to a potluck. I also know that this salad gets rave reviews at every potluck to which I have taken it and people constantly ask me for the recipe. So I thought I might post it here to save time and effort in sharing.

I would love to know from which cookbook this recipe originated. If anyone out there has such information, please let me know ASAP so I can edit this post to more thoroughly credit the author/editor/publisher.

Note this is the full recipe, as I received it. I always make a half recipe. I also do a lot of substituting. I have never made this salad the same way twice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fruit Salad from McGraw-Hill

2 cans peach pie filling
4 to 5 bananas, sliced
3 large cans Mandarin oranges, drained
3 large cans chunk pineapple, drained
1 bunch seedless red grapes, halved
2 bags frozen strawberries, quartered
2 boxes sugar-free strawberry jello, not diluted

Cut frozen strawberries into bowl. Mix in peach pie filling. Wash, slice grapes, and add. Mix in drained oranges and pineapple. Sprinkle both boxes of jello over the fruit mixture and stir until uniform. Add sliced bananas right before serving.

Best if refrigerated over night.
Will last 1 week in the fridge.
May use cherry pie filling, or 1 can cherry pie filling and 1 can peach pie filling.

Blogger's note: I like using 1 can cherry pie filling and 1 can sliced peaches, drained when I make a half recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment