Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tuna Burgers

I am always looking for a way to get my hubby to eat fish without making that face he makes or mumbling things like, "now that I am 40 I don't get to eat good food any more, only things that are good for me." The man likes fishing but not eating fish-go figure. So as I quest to find a way to fix the beautiful, hubby-caught Northern Pike that perpetually graces our family freezer, I try to mix it up with the few fish recipes that I know he likes. These involve tuna and his favorite by far is Tuna Burger.

The tuna burger recipe I started with is not the recipe that I make today. The original recipe, "Tangy Tuna Burgers", is found on page 125 of Where's Dad Now That I Need Him? by B.R. Frandsen, K.J. Frandsen, and K.P. Frandsen. However, over the years, I have modified this recipe enough that the version I make is uniquely mine.

These are good on or off a hamburger bun, with catsup, and with mustard. We like them garnished like a hamburger with lettuce, tomato, pickle and cheese. I would not say that this is a healthy recipe due to the fat content per serving, but it is certainly tasty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mama Hynek's Tuna Burgers

2 - 4.5 oz. cans of water packed tuna, drained
2 eggs
2 celery stalks, diced small
1/4 cup onion, minced
1/3 cup dill relish
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tubes of Ritz crackers, crushed into fine crumbs

Stir until mixture is uniform. Form into patties and fry in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat until each side is brown. Serve and garnish as you would a hamburger. Makes six patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment