Sunday, February 21, 2010

Country White Bread

Because I make most of the bread my family eats, I have many opportunities to experiment and try new recipes. I have some fun ones - chocolate, cinnamon raisin, Hawaiian. However, when it comes to basic bread, something with a good texture for making sandwiches, I have two recipes that I have come to rely on, Country White and Oatmeal. Country White has ended up being the one I make the most often because it is super easy and rises reliably. This recipe comes right out of the the booklet that came with my bread machine (Breadmaker Guide & Cookbook, Regal KitchenPro Collection Model #'s K6742 and K6743, page 36). I have made a couple of small modifications based on using the recipe and for personal taste.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country White Bread

7 to 9 ounces Milk
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
1 1/2 tbs Butter, melted
1 tbs Sugar

2 tbs Flax Seed Meal (optional)
4 cups Bread Flour
2 tsp Bread machine Yeast

Place ingredients into the bread machine baking pan in the
order listed (i.e., wet things first then dry ingredients with the yeast
being last). Use the Sweet Bread setting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your machine does not have a Sweet Bread setting, the Regular or Regular-Light setting will probably work. You'll just need to experiment a little bit to get it right.

Do not use this recipe with a timer setting, if your machine is so equipped, because you don't want the milk and egg sitting out at room temperature for an extended time.

Also, pay attention to and regulate the moisture content via the amount of milk you use. In the winter time, when humidity is nonexistent, I use every bit of 9 ounces. However, in the summer, when its 80% humidity I only use 7 or 8 ounces of milk. It will take some practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment