Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hawaiian Bread

My Grandmother got a loaf of king's Hawaiian bread to serve with Thanksgiving dinner one year when I was a kid and I have loved Hawaiian bread ever since. Of course, the goal of every culinary engineer, both professional and amateur, is to come up with a recipe that improves upon what's already available.

I found a decent Hawaiian bread recipe on the internet about 18 years ago; obviously, by now, I have no idea of which website or the copyright status of the original recipe. However, most bread recipes are pretty similar and I have tinkered with this one enough during the last 1.8 decades that I am confident in referring to it as a Midwest Texan original.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawaiian Bread
8 ounces 100% Pineapple Juice
3/4 tsp Salt
2 tbs Butter, melted
1 Large Egg
3 tbs Sugar
2 tbs Flax Seed Meal
3 cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp Bread Machine Yeast

Place ingredients into the bread machine baking pan in the order listed (i.e., wet things first then dry ingredients with the yeast being last). Use a Regular-Light setting to cook.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This makes a small loaf but the flavor and texture are nice. I am working on modifying it so that I get a large loaf. I'll update this post with modifications as I work them out.

Do not use the timer setting on your bread machine for this one. I am pretty sure that the egg won't keep too well at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment