Thursday, February 25, 2010

Spinach-Apple Salad with Maple-Bacon Vinaigrette

This is one of my favorite salads of all time. It is what my husband and I refer to as "stupid good." I clipped it out of the newspaper a few years ago. The newspaper cites the September 2007 issue of Cooking Light Magazine as it's source. My only complaint with this salad is that it's leftovers do not keep well in the fridge. The rule of thumb with this one is make only what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spinach-Apple Salad with Maple-Bacon Vinaigrette

1 tbs Maple Syrup
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar (I use Balsamic Vinegar instead)
1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbs Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (I use Flax Oil instead)
1 tbs Fresh Chives, chopped
1/4 tsp Salt (I use Sea Salt)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, ground
2 slices Center-Cut Bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 1/2 cups Apple, julienne-cut (about 1 apple)
1/4 cup Red Onion, cut in thin vertical slices
6 oz Fresh Baby Spinach

In a small bowl, whisk together syrup, vinegar, oil, and mustard until well blended. Add chives, salt, pepper, and bacon. Stir well.

In a large bowl, combine apple, onion, and spinach. Drizzle with the vinaigrette mixture, then toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Makes ~6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment